Survival Threads
KCM

Top 10 (or 20ish) Off The Grid Health Preps

The older I get, the more our family believes that the following lifestyle choices improved our health (in general):

-  Truth about lifestyle habits (smoking, drinking, bad sugars, chemical additives, chemical sweeteners).  Sadly, in Amerika, even our shampoo and toothpastes are bad for us.  

1). Cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup.  As Zachmars would say, "Just stop!"

2).  No Aspertame and surrogates.  Cut it out of your daily diet.

3).  Limit Flouride in toothpaste to occasional, instead of daily.

4).  Read package content labels.  Nitrites, nitrates and sodium stuffmakes you fingers swell if you are weaned from them. Other adfitives upset the good bacteria in your gut and do other bad things too much to list here.  Why would our FDA allow a chemical that is used to clean surgical instruments or industrial tools in our food?  Follow the $$$.  Alternatives are getting more available every day.  Even Heinz ketchup got wise and offers natural sugar, now.

-  Our bad guts are the Center of most of our health/energy issues.  Garbage in-garbage not out!  Trust me, I learned the hard way in the Middle East.  Too many shots with mercury, cow and pig cells and some bad water and irregular diet.  Sad.  Th y were supposed to protect me.  I guess the high fever on the cargo plane was a giveaway...

My wife cured my resulting Colitis disease when the military doctors just wanted to give me drugs for symptoms and put me through another Colonoscopy!  I don't scan for toilets anymore.  Now, I just scan for bad guys, LOL!

-  Use natural medicines instead of prescription or commercial "over-the-counter" drugs and vitamin supplements.  This could become a necessity.

5).  B-12. If you are over 50 yrs old, you need a source of B-12 as your old body doesn't make enough.  Energy level low?  Sleepy?

6).  Colloidal Silver (look it up).  Kills bad bacteria.  It will cure pink-eye (no burn) or help a sour stomach.  Taken internally or eternally, it fights or cures infections.

7).  Essential oils.  If only one:  Oregano oil kills bad bacteria and viruses, even MRSA!  Very strong taste.  Must be dilluted for internal or external use.  If two:  Frankincense.  Useful for many things.  Combined with #8, it will reduce or cure skin cancer.

8).  Tumeric.  Strong like a Trogan against bad stuff.  Look it up.  Kills skin cancer.  I've done that, twice.  (Cancer from Sun damage.)

9). This should be number one!  WATER!!!  Drink more water.  Just water.  If you don't want it next to you all day, you don't drink enough water!  The root of most health issues and cures.  I tell the kids in school that they can't "take out the trash" without drinking enough water.  Our bodies protect themselves by surrounding bad things like mercury from fillings and immunizations, lead from re-loading, other toxins; by surrounding it with hard fat cells.  Belly fat.  To really diet, you have to slowly cut down on food intake while drinking more water.  Your body realizes it isn't starving and decides it's time to "dump" the toxins because enough water is there!  It's called a "cleansing fast."  Look it up.  If the SHTF, we will lose weight and start burning fat!  Drink more water so you don't get sick!

10).  Exercise.  Boring?  Hard?  Too hot or cold?  Get outside!  Do stuff!  Fix stuff!  Walk around!  Instead of strolling to the barn, walk fast!  Try to ride your bull.  No more excuses!  If you have a garden, you will exercise.  Trust me.  You can always come help us stack square hay bales in our barn.  Man!  That's this week!  Or, cut some firewood.  Just do it!

11).  Did I say, "Drink more water"?  Start with a half-gallon (2 liters) a day as a goal.  I know, I know.  Once you start, your body will demand it!  Imagine this:

You will look younger

You will feel younger

You will be more resistant to illness

You will be able to see better and remember better

You will have fewer headaches

Your injuries will heal faster

Your bowels will work regularly and better.  More info is "TMI"

You will sleep better (Don't mind the crazy dreams at first.  That's just your brain taking out the trash.)

You will be more alert, healthier, and resistant to disease or infection.  Try it!  You WILL like it!

Ya'll jump in here with more healthy lifestyle choices thst will prep your family!

Edited by KCM
  • Upvote 1

I agree with quitting smoking, a lot of the people who quit smoking after I did are dead.  Being more of a bacon and whiskey type, (and I put diet coke in my rum), I sort of roll my eyes at a lot of holistic remedies, though I know many of them to be very good.  About 40 years ago I was cutting a board with a handsaw on the tailgate of my truck, and ran the blade into my finger.  My hippie sister took her little thing of goldenseal petals and made a paste of it in the  mortar and pestle and put that on the wound and bandaged it up.  In two days it went from maybe needs a stitch to almost healed up.  That's good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Funny what you can take to heal you, I've had foot pain for a while so bad sometimes I could not walk. I got a new doctor that was real big into natural remedies. Tumeric, Calcium, Vitamin D foot pain completely gone  I'd say about 3 weeks after starting. A good thing is here in New Mexico we get the good coke from Mexico with pure cain sugar....so much better.

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2017 at 3:15 PM, dthomasdigital said:

Funny what you can take to heal you, I've had foot pain for a while so bad sometimes I could not walk. I got a new doctor that was real big into natural remedies. Tumeric, Calcium, Vitamin D foot pain completely gone  I'd say about 3 weeks after starting. A good thing is here in New Mexico we get the good coke from Mexico with pure cain sugar....so much better.

Thomas,

Do you by any chance have diabetes?  I have two friends that suffer from diabetes caused foot pain.  This might help them!

1 minute ago, dthomasdigital said:

I inject enough stuff all ready, I'll stick to the pills, and all the Indian food I eat.

Me too buddy. Time for 40 units of Lantus right now. On medical protocols, past the obvious stop the bleeding, I'll stick to the general observation that all general observations are wrong.

• Upvote 2

t I've been off this forum for a while (been out and about touring / swimming / trekking) can I say how much I love potatoes?!

So easy to grow, and the benefits? as an example see; https://www.potatogoodness.com/nutrition/

I can mash, roast, ....well anything my imagination lets me do to them  :)

Great, great post. I was a cigarette smoker in 2007 and quitting was the best decision I ever made. My lungs felt free for the first time in 5 years.

Interestingly, my right lung collapsed 2 months after I quit. A good lesson learnt!

These days I try to live cleanly whilst limiting my vices to a thresh hold I am comfortable with- I drink good whiskeys in moderation, and puff on a pipe (I make my own pipe tobacco)  and have the occasional cigar which I know isn't ideal but at least it doesn't touch my lungs.

Not perfect in terms of "clean living" but I am trying the best I can without turning into a miserable SOB.

Elise & I cut all artificial sweeteners and questionable products from our diet. Its done wonder for our gut health. 

11 hours ago, Thomas said:

Elise & I cut all artificial sweeteners and questionable products from our diet. Its done wonder for our gut health. 

Thomas, have you discovered "Stevia" natural sweetener?  Good stuff!

Comfrey tincture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey#Medicinal_use

Amazing healing properties.  Currently using it on an ugly finger wound (the tractor won the argument).  Skin too torn up for stitches.  So,  compression, cleaning and home treatment with antibiotic ointment, etc.. Was heaing normally (slowly) until the wife suggested Comfrey.  Healing process sped up by @30-50%?.  Relieves itching and dryness associated with skin repairing itself.  We are truley fearfully and wonderfully made.

• Like 1